Sunday, February 4, 2018

Day 7 Journaling Challenge

I'm struggling to keep my eyes open and resist the temptation of diving into the comforts of my bed, so I'll make today's entry short.

I was up and running our store from 11am and finally closed at 6pm tonight. I've lost count of how many times I said "arigatou gozaimashita" (thank you very much) and "irasshaimase" (welcome) to the stream of customers that came today. On top of this, I was tasked to steam iron 100 pieces of clothing whilst checking out the customers and making sure that no kids drown on the toilet. Yeah, 'cause shopping moms tend to get absorbed with digging through the racks of clothes and completely forget the existence of their kids.

Today, with aching arms from slinging that steamer around and a big happy grin on my face, I noticed that I am more capable than I think I am.

Long time ago, when Daphne was still dreaming of speaking Japanese and living on her own, until now, that she's living her dream, she still doubts herself a thousand times but surprisingly, rises to the occasion and crosses the finish line.

I actually always surprise myself. Looking back, I've always doubted that I could do anything remarkable. I always thought I would quit halfway and just drift somewhere with the hopes that I could find something more within my capabilities. Inevitably, I'll end up somewhere that would test me to the very edge of my limits. I remember feeling so shaken up and nervous that I might do something on my driving test. Or that one time when I was placed in-charge of organizing a volunteer event, I wasn't able to sleep a wink the night before with the fear of messing the entire thing because this that whole thing is just too massive for me.

And yet, I emerged from them with patches of sweat on my armpits, laughing and exhilarated from these little victories. Each challenge in itself was a journey of doubting myself a lot and exceeding expectations I've set on myself, punching the wall from overwhelming frustration and jumping up and down when my name was called as one of the successful examinees, crying tears of joy in the car and going home victorious, happy and at peace.

So, how exactly did I manage these challenges? Everyone has their own way of dealing with their problems, but let me briefly share my secret formula.

1. I set ZERO expectations on myself, that way, there's no room for disappointment.

2. I just do it! That's right! Just do it like Nike says. No room for overthinking. Just do it. Stop counting. Just do it! Except for cliff dives, just count me out!

3. I pray to God that she sends me the right people who will help me overcome what lies ahead.

This hasn't been scientifically proven and tested by scientist but this weird combination definitely works for me!  I guess number one attests to my thinking that I am more capable than I think I am. With zero expectations and being able to cross the finish line after, without a shed of expectations on myself, just purely operating from the determination of completing the job and with the help of people around, the expected reaction would, without a doubt, surprise.   


Yep, I ironed these and more

How about you? How do you wrestle with a challenge? I would love to learn a thing or two from you!

P.S. Every trials or tribulations you've experienced, you are experiencing and will experience is a journey itself. No matter where you are on that journey, hold on and pray a lot, I assure you that you will get through it :) Don't forget to celebrate it with Netflix and ice cream later :)



No comments:

Post a Comment